What if you could go to school and learn an important, rewarding career without racking up debt for school loans? Do you have an interest in styling people’s hair and nails? Do you have excellent people skills? How about the desire to own your own beauty salon and be your own boss?
If you answered “yes” to one or more of the above questions, you might be able to receive one or more of the cosmetology scholarships now being offered through beauty schools, as well as through beauty supply companies.
Licensed cosmetologists know how to shampoo, cut, style, color, and apply permanent wave to hair. You will also be doing hair extensions, as well as possibly treating the scalp and doing some basics of skin care. Some salons also require you to perform manicures and pedicures for their customers as well. It is a rewarding career, but cosmetology school can be expensive. Receiving one of the many cosmetology scholarships offered can help you defray the cost of school.
How Do I Apply for Cosmetology Scholarships?
There are several ways in which you can apply for cosmetology scholarships. If you are still in high school, there’s a possibility that you might be able to apply for trade scholarships which include cosmetology scholarships through your public school district.
No matter if you’re still in high school or a single mom, you can also find a cosmetology school near you that offers cosmetology scholarships to students and new students entering their school. If you are applying through your public school district or through a cosmetology school, the requirements will vary depending on your grades, but the deciding factors usually are based on financial need, as well as your grades and possibly showing your aptitude for the profession. Some cosmetology scholarships for minority students are administered by specific organizations, but most cosmetology scholarships are given without regard to race, religion, or gender.
The third source of financial aid is to locate cosmetology scholarships offered by beauty supply companies. Here is a short list of Beauty Scholarships in 2019:
BCL Mud Makeup Scholarship
- Application Deadline: 10/3/2019
- Amount: $2,500
- Generously funded by Make-up Designory (MUD), the MUD Makeup Scholarship offers five $2,500 scholarships twice a year for a total of $25,000. The MUD scholarship is open to any student attending an AACS member school who is enrolled in an Esthetics or Cosmetology program that offers a minimum of 300 hours of additional makeup curriculum. The MUD Makeup Scholarship is the first Beauty Changes […] More
Joe Francis Haircare Scholarships
- Application Deadline: 6/1/2019
- Amount: $1,200
- The Joe Francis Haircare Scholarship awards are for students enrolling in cosmetology school. Applications accepted January through June 1st each year. If you graduate from cosmetology or barber school between the dates of January 1st through August 31st of the current award year, you are not eligible. Esthetician or nail training students are not eligible. Applicant must be planning to enroll by […] More
Margaret Johnson Memorial Scholarship
- Application Deadline: 7/15/2019
- Amount: $650
- In addition to eligibility requirements listed for each individual scholarship, all applicants must meet the following
minimum eligibility requirements:
-Reside within the boundaries of the Stanwood-Camano School District or be a former graduate of either Stanwood High School or Lincoln Hill High School
-Must demonstrate financial needEligibility:
-Must be a student pursuing education in […] More
NCEA Esthetician Scholarship
- Application Deadline: Varies
- Amount: $1,000
- Eligible esthetician students can receive a $1,000 incentive scholarship while attending esthetic school. Applicants must be midway through an esthetician only training program, maintain at least 80% attendance, and 80% grade average. A selection committee comprised of NCEA members will review all applications that meet the requirements and are verified by the student’s school. Quarterly […] More
Oregon Barbers and Hairdressers Grant Program
- Application Deadline: 2/1/2019
- Amount: Varies
- To qualify for the Oregon Barber and Hairdresser Grant Program, you must be a resident of Oregon who is attending or will attend a licensed school of barbering, hair design, cosmetology or manicure in Oregon that participates in Federal Title IV financial aid programs. You must enroll full-time in a program which is at least nine months long or 900 clock hours. You must have a significant need […] More
Vidal Sassoon Professional Beauty Education Advanced Scholarship Program
- Application Deadline: 9/19/2019
- Amount: $5,000
- Generously funded by Wella’s Hairdressers at Heart, the Vidal Sassoon Professional Beauty Education Scholarship Program – Advanced honors the legacy of beauty legend Vidal Sassoon and pays homage to his belief in lifelong education. Each competition awards 10 licensed hairstylists with “advanced” scholarships to attend a North American Sassoon Academy program, including travel and course fees up […] More
Vidal Sassoon Professional Beauty Education Basic Scholarship Program
- Application Deadline: 9/19/2019
- Amount: $10,000
- Generously funded by Wella’s Hairdressers at Heart, the Vidal Sassoon Professional Beauty Education Scholarship Program – Basic honors the legacy of beauty legend Vidal Sassoon and pays homage to his belief in lifelong education. Each competition awards ten winners with 50% of their program tuition costs, covered at a qualifying AACS cosmetology school (up to $10,000). Competition rounds are held […] More